Monday, October 26, 2015

Doggy Treats

Pumpkin peanut butter dog treats!



   What better way to tell your pet you love them today than a special treat just for them! I have always wanted to make my own dog treats for Abby so I searched far and wide on the web to find the perfect recipe! Mostly something easy to make since I'm not the best baker. I saw this particular one a few times. It has canned pumpkin, which is great for dogs for many reason, one thing it helps with is their digestive health for both diarrhea and constipation. It keeps them regular, haha! Peanut butter is another k9 favorite, packed with protein, vitamins, and healthy fats. Of course any of these ingredients should be used in moderation, too much of anything can be unhealthy! So stick the steps and it'll be your dog's new favorite treat and it only took me an hour in total!



What you need:

  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 1/2 cups wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 eggs


   If you can, go with a more natural peanut butter with no sugars in it! This was all I had but it was only a little bit in the mix!


Step One: 

  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

   Turn your oven on to preheat it, something I usually forget to do! Thankfully I remembered this time. Gather the supplies you'll need. Mixing bowl, rolling pin, cookie sheet, and ingredients.

Step Two:

   Mix together the pumpkin, peanut butter, flour, salt, cinnamon, and eggs. Add water as needed because it is a little dry as you are stirring. I would do a little at a time till it is easy to work the dough. I do not have a machine mixer so my wisk was not working and I just had to dig in with my hands to mix it well! The dough should be dry and tough.



Step Three:

   Sprinkle some extra flour on the counter and place the dough down. Start rolling your dough out into a 1/2 inch thick roll. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes, if you don't have one use a steak knife and make your own design, like me! It's not as perfect but I don't think your dog will mind.


Step Four:

   Bake treats in the oven for about 40 minutes or until hard.



And that's it! Let the treats cool completely before giving it to your dog! I'd say my baking was pretty successful! Both my dog, Abby and my sister's puppy,  Ranger enjoyed the little surprise! Hope you liked my DIY dog treats. Well... I hope your dog does!

Love always,
Christina




No comments: